Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Vaddio
Vaddio is the leading manufacturer and OEM-distributor of specialty PTZ cameras, high-end camera control systems and custom furniture used in the broadcasting, audiovisual and videoconferencing industries.
www.vaddio.com
LAN/VPN Video Conferencing Server
TrueConf Server is an SVC-based video conferencing on-premises software designed specially for LAN/VPN networks. Full HD video experience, multi-point video conferences for up to 250 endpoints, client apps for Windows, iOS, Android, OS X, WebRTC & Linux. Ensures interoperability via SIP/H.323 and LDAP protocols.
www.trueconf.com

Old 03-09-2012   #1
Fatboy40
Rookie Member

Fatboy40 - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default Windows H.323 Client ?

I'm having trouble identifying a good H.323 client to use on Windows computers (XP onwards) and I was wondering what people here would reccomend ?.

I've used LifeSize codecs in the past (and I'm about to install a couple more) and their Desktop software was just SIP, though they now push the Mirial softphone that does H.323 but it's a bit clunky.

A Google search bring up next to nothing, is there an H.323 software client out there that's as simple to use as say Skype or Lync ?.

Thanks.
Fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #2
Gary Miyakawa
Super VTC Guru
One of Our First 100 Members!!

Gary Miyakawa - Has over 50 Tech Points

Take a look at Polycom.. The Telepresense M100 would seem to be an option for you.

Gary M
Streaming Call Analysis tool - Simplify packet traces. www vtc-csi.com
iPod/iPhone/Android VTC-Remote NOW available in their stores.
VTC-Info - Video conferencing equipment inventory tool. www vtc-info.com
Want a custom HDX/Group remote for android device ? Let's talk !
Gary Miyakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #3
Fatboy40
Rookie Member

Thanks Gary.

That's a good client, it's much better than LifeSize Desktop and Mirial Softphone, far easier to view the stats of the current call.
Old 06-27-2012   #4
Fatboy40
Rookie Member

Well, I've been using Polycom M100 for a while now and I'm a little dissapointed with it. The things I'm dissapointed with are...

# How resource hungry it is, you have to throw meaty hardware at it.

# Even with powerfull hardware I've noticed transmitted audio drop for tiny amounts of time again and again.

# The fact that you cannot transmit video in any HD resolutions, you can receive in 720p but not transmit.

... I don't the interface of the LifeSize/Mirial Softphone but other than being even more resources hungry that the Polycom M100 it has none of the other problems I mention.

Unless anyone is aware of any other options I think overall I'm very dissapointd with the Windows H.323 clients that are available. I'm going to setup a trial LifeSize Clearsea server on our VMware cluster and see how that compares...
Old 06-27-2012   #5
avdesign
VTC Professional

avdesign - Has only 10 Tech Points

In another post yesterday I described problems using M100 behind VMWare on a Mac.

Mirial Softphone doesn't support H.460. Normally that doesn't prevent making a call through our BC/GK, it just prevents registration; although I could get connections it would never pass video & audio. Worked OK outside our FW though. The interface is rather goofy, but workable. If it supported H.460 I'd be using it and recommending it.

According to the Lifesize rep I spoke with, Clearsea is being discontinued in favor of Lifesize Connections. Their web site is a mess of confusing info which seems to contradict that, but that's what I was told last month. It's a shame, because the demo version of Clearsea in the Cloud has worked better than any other product in my testing and we would probably be subscribers now if it was going to be around.

I was also told Lifesize Connections is proprietary; they have no H.323 or SIP gateway yet, though they said it's in the plans. Performance wasn't good during a demo I participated in, but regardless we have no interest in proprietary solutions.

This is an area where this industry has failed us for a long time. We NEED a solid stand-alone Mac/Windows software client that doesn't require a super-computer to perform well. HD is great, but it isn't necessary for effective meetings; years of effective use of CIF @ 128 & 384kbps have proven that. All of our muscle-bound hardware codecs are "HD" capable, but nearly 100% of our meetings still take place at 384kbps. If we could buy a standalone client that could deliver the performance of a Tandberg 1000 @ 384kbps, I'd be writing the PR right now.

I prefer a stand alone client to a service, but so far Cisco's free Jabber Video is the ONLY low-cost desktop solution that we're able to use for actual meetings, and it's still in BETA! The chief trouble is that the client won't complete calls through our BC/GK (assume this is a problem in the Cisco cloud infrastructure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
Well, I've been using Polycom M100 for a while now and I'm a little dissapointed with it. The things I'm dissapointed with are...

# How resource hungry it is, you have to throw meaty hardware at it.

# Even with powerfull hardware I've noticed transmitted audio drop for tiny amounts of time again and again.

# The fact that you cannot transmit video in any HD resolutions, you can receive in 720p but not transmit.

... I don't the interface of the LifeSize/Mirial Softphone but other than being even more resources hungry that the Polycom M100 it has none of the other problems I mention.

Unless anyone is aware of any other options I think overall I'm very dissapointd with the Windows H.323 clients that are available. I'm going to setup a trial LifeSize Clearsea server on our VMware cluster and see how that compares...
avdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #6
outlooker
VTC Professional

outlooker - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via MSN to outlooker

Try VCON vPoint HD from http://vcon.com/support/downloads/ or Radvision BeeHD desktop from http://www.radvision.com/Products/De...evaluation.htm. They all support H.323 / SIP, H.460.18/19.
outlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #7
Fatboy40
Rookie Member

Thanks guys.

avdesign, VERY interesting to read what you said about Clearsea and I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-28-2012   #8
Mirial
Rookie Member

Mirial - Has only 10 Tech Points

Hi everybody, this is Cristoforo Mione, one of the Mirial founders and now Product Manager for Mobile Video in LifeSize.

I'd like to add some information on this topic in order to clear up any misunderstandings.

As for ClearSea in the Cloud, I think you are referring to the service at clearsea.com that was launched by Mirial in May 2011. The service is going to be merged into LifeSize Connections, also providing SIP and H323 interoperability to it.

The LifeSize ClearSea on-premise product, on the other hand, is a client-server solution for desktop and mobile videoconferencing. Free demo here:
http://www.lifesize.com/Products/Inf.../ClearSea.aspx

If you are interested in a standalone solution, you should try the LifeSize Softphone (formerly Mirial Softphone), now with a brand new user interface. It is capable to scale the video quality adapting to the available CPU capabilities. Free demo here:
http://www.lifesize.com/Products/Vid...Softphone.aspx

By the way, none of these is going end of life!

Hope this helps!
Ciao
Mirial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #9
avdesign
VTC Professional

avdesign - Has only 10 Tech Points

Christoforo, thank you for that info. Will the Softphone product support H.460?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirial View Post
Hi everybody, this is Cristoforo Mione, one of the Mirial founders and now Product Manager for Mobile Video in LifeSize.

I'd like to add some information on this topic in order to clear up any misunderstandings.

As for ClearSea in the Cloud, I think you are referring to the service at clearsea.com that was launched by Mirial in May 2011. The service is going to be merged into LifeSize Connections, also providing SIP and H323 interoperability to it.

The LifeSize ClearSea on-premise product, on the other hand, is a client-server solution for desktop and mobile videoconferencing. Free demo here:
http://www.lifesize.com/Products/Inf.../ClearSea.aspx

If you are interested in a standalone solution, you should try the LifeSize Softphone (formerly Mirial Softphone), now with a brand new user interface. It is capable to scale the video quality adapting to the available CPU capabilities. Free demo here:
http://www.lifesize.com/Products/Vid...Softphone.aspx

By the way, none of these is going end of life!

Hope this helps!
Ciao
avdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #10
Fatboy40
Rookie Member

Hi Cristoforo,

Thanks for your post, it's great to hear news like this directly from those involved.

I have the VMware virtual machine and trial key ready for LifeSize Clearsea but after the earlier post I decided not to install it onto our VMware cluster, your post may change my mind.

I have a question, LifeSize(Mirial) softphone is so far providing the best video and audio quality when using Microsoft Windows but is the performance even better when using LifeSize Clearsea and its Windows client ?. Right now what it getting the most resources in reagrds to development and improvement, is it the LifeSize Softphone or on premise LifeSize Clearsea ?.

Thanks.