Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Vaddio
Vaddio is the leading manufacturer and OEM-distributor of specialty PTZ cameras, high-end camera control systems and custom furniture used in the broadcasting, audiovisual and videoconferencing industries.
www.vaddio.com
Blue Jeans Network - cloud-based conferencing service
Our mission is to make video communications as easy and pervasive as audio communications, enabling more effective communication and collaboration anywhere and from practically any device.
www.bluejeans.com
Go Back Video conferencing / Telepresence Forum > VTC Hardware > Network > Integration Polycom VSX series with Cisco Call Manager

Old 11-16-2006   #1
zornzack
Rookie Member
One of Our First 100 Members!!

zornzack - Has only 10 Tech Points
Exclamation Integration Polycom VSX series with Cisco Call Manager

Is there anybody has information on how to design and configure a solution for VSX series with Call Manager ? Any extra equipment required e.g. MGC+ or whatsoever? My requirement is pretty much simple, in the solution we have existing Cisco IP phones and Call Manager in the network. We would like to have VSX / PVX or ViaVideo in the network with multipoint audio and video conference.

What extra equipment do i need and how to configure the VSX to register with the Call Manager?
zornzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #2
GTC
Experienced Technician

GTC - Has only 10 Tech Points

I think you will have to wait for version 8.6 to be available for VSX before you can use SCCP.
Expected delivery of code end of year, if under warranty or contract will get 8.6 FOC otherwise purchase update is required.
Old 11-16-2006   #3
Harvell
Experienced Technician

Harvell - Has only 10 Tech Points

With the right Gatekeeper design and E.164 dialing plan this can be achieved easily. You would need to setup a trunk to your Gatekeeper from call manager. I could help out with some of the details just pm me.
Harvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #4
senthil
VTC Professional

senthil - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via Yahoo to senthil
Default hi

hi

The Cisco CM works something like with Path Navigator product where it is a gatekeeper. The phone would dial the IP address of the VSX and the VSX would do the transcoding down to the 64k of the phone.

No additional software is needed on the VSX.

Senthil.
senthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #5
trapehzoid
VTC Professional

trapehzoid - Has only 10 Tech Points

you all are confusing the H.323 interoperability of the cisco call manager with the specific call manager integrations.

Senthil - how do you propose a phone dial an IP address? There is no need for transcoding. In fact, there is none at all because your phone would have to do G711 to the endpoint.

If you just want your video systems to communicate with phones, you must setup a gatekeeper and neighbor it with call manager. This will get you two way calling. Or if you only have a handful of systems, you can define them as H323 devices in call manager itself and get one way dialing (from phones to video systems).

Or you integrate the systems with call manager and then the video systems behave like phones. THis requires special software on the endpoints. Polycom promised it along time ago for VSX but has yet to deliver. Sony and tandberg both have this. In these cases the phones run the Cisco SCCP protocol
trapehzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #6
senthil
VTC Professional

senthil - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via Yahoo to senthil

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapehzoid
you all are confusing the H.323 interoperability of the cisco call manager with the specific call manager integrations.

Senthil - how do you propose a phone dial an IP address? There is no need for transcoding. In fact, there is none at all because your phone would have to do G711 to the endpoint.

If you just want your video systems to communicate with phones, you must setup a gatekeeper and neighbor it with call manager. This will get you two way calling. Or if you only have a handful of systems, you can define them as H323 devices in call manager itself and get one way dialing (from phones to video systems).

Or you integrate the systems with call manager and then the video systems behave like phones. THis requires special software on the endpoints. Polycom promised it along time ago for VSX but has yet to deliver. Sony and tandberg both have this. In these cases the phones run the Cisco SCCP protocol
This similar case i worked with the client and i have similar questions but finally i got the answer where i given in my last post in this topic from Polycom Support team.

Senthil.
senthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #7
Harvell
Experienced Technician

Quote:
If you just want your video systems to communicate with phones, you must setup a gatekeeper and neighbor it with call manager. This will get you two way calling.
Call manager calls it a trunk. Gatekeepers call it neigboring.
Old 11-20-2006   #8
zornzack
Rookie Member
One of Our First 100 Members!!

zornzack - Has only 10 Tech Points

Quote:

Wow, this is really intense. So, correct me if i'm wrong guys , if i need 2 way calling (EP to phones/EP & phones to EP/phones), i need a gatekeeper and neighbour it with Call Manager ??? I don't get this part, cause i thought Call Manager is also a gatekeeper, but why do we need 2 gatekeeper? How to do the neighbouring, and where can i get the documentation ? If i want them to do multipoint call, could i include the MGC25 in with version 8.0 ?
zornzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006   #9
Harvell
Experienced Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornzack
Wow, this is really intense. So, correct me if i'm wrong guys , if i need 2 way calling (EP to phones/EP & phones to EP/phones), i need a gatekeeper and neighbour it with Call Manager ??? I don't get this part, cause i thought Call Manager is also a gatekeeper, but why do we need 2 gatekeeper? How to do the neighbouring, and where can i get the documentation ? If i want them to do multipoint call, could i include the MGC25 in with version 8.0 ?

Actually you only need one GK.

Steps.
1. Register your GK to call manager. On CM go to device>gatekeeper> add your GK to call manager.

2. Setup a trunk from CM to the GK. On CM go to device>trunk> add a gatekeeper controlled trunk.

3. Add a route plan to forward calls out the trunk to the GK. On CM go to Route Plan> Route/Hunt and setup a route group and route list.

Now depending on your route plan calls will be passed to your GK. This will enable calls from your CM to the GK.

On your GK side setup a service with a prefix that will forward to your call manager. Call manager should be a registered gateway that has the same prefix/e.164 address that you used when setting up the trunk. This will allow calls to be placed from the GK to the CM.

Hope this helps.