Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Clearone
Future-proof, affordable, cloud-ready. It’s room video conferencing that simply fits. COLLABORATE Room solutions provide best-in-class video conferencing and collaboration with a price-point and feature set vastly superior to that of competing room conferencing solutions. Find out how affordable and compatibly video conferencing can be. Clearone.com
LAN/VPN Video Conferencing Server
TrueConf Server is an SVC-based video conferencing on-premises software designed specially for LAN/VPN networks. Full HD video experience, multi-point video conferences for up to 250 endpoints, client apps for Windows, iOS, Android, OS X, WebRTC & Linux. Ensures interoperability via SIP/H.323 and LDAP protocols.
www.trueconf.com

Old 06-29-2004   #1
zimflux
Rookie Member

zimflux - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via AIM to zimflux
Exclamation Polycom VS. Tandberg

Which is better and why?
zimflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #2
mazzarak
Forum Moderator
One of Our First 100 Members!!Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

mazzarak - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via MSN to mazzarak

Hey Zimflux

talk about opening a can of worms

how you want to compare them? that's like saying "Which is better - Ford or Nissan?"

"I'm a locksmith, and I'm a locksmith."
mazzarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #3
zimflux
Rookie Member

That’s what I said... to my company...

Said company wants a breakdown of the pros and cons of T and P

What does one like and dislike about each Co.
Old 06-29-2004   #4
Entropy3XD
Forum Moderator

Entropy3XD - Has over 50 Tech Points
Send a message via AIM to Entropy3XD Send a message via Skype™ to Entropy3XD

You should be very happy with products from either Tandberg or Polycom. Both Poly and Tand are well made and quite easy to setup.

Questions:

In what kind of environment do you plan on using the VTC equipment?

Are you looking for a set-top unit, or do you plan on creating a large conference room with rack mounted equipment?

How many cameras do you wish to have in the room? How many need PTZ control?

What kind of network?

Do you plan on integrating other peripherals such as Doc Cams, VCR/DVD, PC, external sound system, additional mics?

If you could give us a basic idea of your environment maybe we can help you to narrow it down.

I like Polycom for set-top units or environments in which the end users are completely hopeless (because of the GUI interface).

I prefer Tandberg for custom, deployable, and military encryption environments. I like that Tandberg does not use proprietary connections, making it easier to make custom cables.

If I personally had to pick one codec of choice to fit all of my needs, no matter what the environment, it would probably be the Tandberg 2500 or 6000. The versatility is exceptional, being able to be mounted in a rack, a roll cart, or a depolyable case. They have proven amazingly solid in our depolyable units.
Old 06-29-2004   #5
Marty Marlow
Forum Moderator
Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

Marty Marlow - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via MSN to Marty Marlow

I think ENTROPY 3XD said it. it depends on who you ask. Most people will tell you the they like the one that they use. Often because they are not familiar with the other and they feel more secure with the one that they use everyday. Because they feel like they know it very well. But in most cases that will just be an opinion. The fact is both are very well built and designed products, they both codec the same algorithms voice & video. They both do the same job... polycom has a habbit of introducing new algorithms a bit more often than tanberg but depending on what kind of set up you have you may preffer one over the other. When you get into bridges that is a whole new can of worms!!!! the mgc-100 has several things over the tanberg if you do a lot of secure conferencing. But as for CODEC's They both have a good handle on technology and are always introducing something new into the mix.
bravo zulu to them Both...
Marty Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #6
George
VTC Professional
One of Our First 100 Members!!

George - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via MSN to George Send a message via Yahoo to George

Everyone,

I think what zimflux is saying is that he actually wants your opinions, biased or not. He needs to put together a listing of pros and cons for each so if you are a Tandberg fan, explain why you would choose Tandberg over Polycom even if it's pretty only because of your particular situation. Explaining your own situation will help zimflux to better explain the results of his findings and provide a base for him to draw up a scenario to his audience.

So if in your situation you use Tandbergs explain why, same goes if you use Polycom. The site staff will of course be monitoring this thread so be on your best behavior . Respect everyone's opinions and let's see where this conversation goes.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #7
mazzarak
Forum Moderator

mazzarak - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via MSN to mazzarak

From what I've observed from customers and on this forum, I can offer the following sweeping generalisations.

Tandberg systems break less often than Polycom.
Polycom costs less than Tandberg.

It's worth mentioning that Polycom have brought out a handful of new products in the recent weeks to challenge certain aspects of the Tandberg range that have been around for a while.

I would say I prefer Tandberg simply from the reliability point of view. When I look at the number of trouble sites we have on our helpdesk, a substantial majority are Polycom. I've never had to deal with Tandberg technical support, which I guess is revealing in itself...

"I'm a locksmith, and I'm a locksmith."
mazzarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #8
Toney
Experienced Technician
One of Our First 100 Members!!

Toney - Has only 10 Tech Points

I was a part of a team that evaluated VC systems a few years back when we looked at the 'big 3' of Polycom, PictureTel!!! and Tandberg. In the end, we selected Tandberg as the company standard. We could spend days discussing the in's and out's of why we chose Tandberg, but here are a few key points behind our decision:
1. Tandberg endpoints are far more robust that Polycom (we had eliminated PictureTel)
2. Tandberg, as a sales entity and as after-sales support are far more approachable than Polycom. From our dealings with Tandberg subsequently, we found that they were far more sensitive and responsive to customer feedback. It actually took us a few tries to make Polycom release that we were actually serious about a large rollout of VC endpoints!!
3. Tandberg standardized all their endpoint interfaces to look and work the same. This helps our end-users immensely when it comes to training.
4. Tandberg are a software company, they release a hardware platform and then upgrade them via new software releases. This means that we didn't need to go out and purchases extra boxes for new features.
5. Tandberg are rather innovative and quite aggressive with their new features releases.
6. I personally think that the Tandberg endpoint range is more versatile and covers more user scenarios.
It must be said that one point that nearly nixed the choice was their cost. Everyone knows that Tandberg are more expensive than Polycom. But in the end, and having a few years under our belts with Tandberg, we conclude that the extra money spent was greatly offset by their great reliability and the feature sets that are released regularly.
Toney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #9
zimflux
Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Everyone,

I think what zimflux is saying is that he actually wants your opinions, biased or not. He needs to put together a listing of pros and cons for each so if you are a Tandberg fan, explain why you would choose Tandberg over Polycom even if it's pretty only because of your particular situation. Explaining your own situation will help zimflux to better explain the results of his findings and provide a base for him to draw up a scenario to his audience.

So if in your situation you use Tandbergs explain why, same goes if you use Polycom. The site staff will of course be monitoring this thread so be on your best behavior . Respect everyone's opinions and let's see where this conversation goes.

George

Well... you said it George

We have a new install of about 45 6000s in customs rack all over the building. Now that we have all this new equipment here, we want to upgrade the rest of the buildings. I have been tasked to come up with the pros and cons of the two companies. I do understand that this is heavily based on ones experience per manufacture.

Thanks guys for all your help....

I can't wait till this site gets even bigger and bigger....
Old 07-01-2004   #10
tjm2713
Rookie Member

tjm2713 - Has only 10 Tech Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzarak
Hey Zimflux

talk about opening a can of worms

how you want to compare them? that's like saying "Which is better - Ford or Nissan?"
Hahaha saying that Tandberg-Polycom is like Ford-Nissan is hilarious. Try Mercedes-Nissan, Tandberg being the Mercedes of course. Video Quality and features on a Polycom don't even conpare to Tandberg. Not to mention ease of use or reliability.
tjm2713 is offline   Reply With Quote