Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Clearone
Future-proof, affordable, cloud-ready. Itís room video conferencing that simply fits. COLLABORATE Room solutions provide best-in-class video conferencing and collaboration with a price-point and feature set vastly superior to that of competing room conferencing solutions. Find out how affordable and compatibly video conferencing can be. Clearone.com
Interlink Vision
Cloud Video Conferencing. CallPresence is a cloud-based hosted solution that helps individuals and companies enhance their video communications. From Polycom desktop-based Telepresence, ISDN to IP services, and Virtual Video Meeting Rooms with guest accounts for non-video enabled users.
www.interlinkvision.com
Blue Jeans Network - cloud-based conferencing service
Our mission is to make video communications as easy and pervasive as audio communications, enabling more effective communication and collaboration anywhere and from practically any device.
www.bluejeans.com
Go Back Video conferencing / Telepresence Forum > VTC Hardware > CODEC > Can the Cisco C-series remote be used with the EX series?

Old 04-12-2012   #1
rob1971
VTC Professional

rob1971 - Has only 10 Tech Points
Question Can the Cisco C-series remote be used with the EX series?

Hi folks

We've recently received a Cisco EX60 for evaluation and it have noticed that when the touch-screen isn't connected the interface that pops up appears to be very similar to the C-series.

I was wondering, does anyone know if it's possible to use the C-series remote to fully control the EX-series?

Unfortunately we don't have a C-series system, otherwise I'd be trying for myself.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
rob1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #2
streamnz
VTC Professional

streamnz - Has over 50 Tech Points

In some builds of the software there are ways to make it work - but it's not supported that way and not likely to continue to work going forward either. The EX series are designed to be used with the included touch panels only.

Pete
Cisco Systems

The opinions expressed in this forum are my own views and not those of Cisco.
streamnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #3
rob1971
VTC Professional

Hi Pete

Thanks for the speedy reply - should you no be asleep in NZ? ;o)

It's a shame that they're not planning offering it as an option, as, particularly with the EX90, I can see it being quite useful.

Although the EX-series are obviously designed for use by individuals I have seen them used for group meetings, with 4-5 people sitting some distance from them, further than the touchpanel cable stretches anyway, so the remote would be a useful supplementary control.

Rob
Old 04-12-2012   #4
Sean Lessman
Super VTC Guru

Sean Lessman - Has over 50 Tech Points
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Lessman

Using the remote on the EX series was intentionally not supported (even though there is a receiver in the unit ). I lobbied for a way to turn on support through the API in the event the touchpanel ever failed for support purposes, but that didn't happen (as far as I know).

Have Polycom questions and want to chat with the experts? Check out http://community.polycom.com
Sean Lessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #5
streamnz
VTC Professional

Sure - that's why we created the MX200 and MX300 - systems designed for larger rooms but at a closer price point to the EX90 for example. These have PTZ cameras, larger displays and come with the touch control with a 7.5 m cable. And yes, I probably should have been heading off to bed then ;-)

What I have seen some people doing though with EX90s for example is using the web interface on a tablet (like an iPad) to control them from a distance. Perhaps that's worth looking into for your needs?

Pete
Cisco Systems

Old 04-12-2012   #6
avdesign
VTC Professional

avdesign - Has only 10 Tech Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lessman View Post
I lobbied for a way to turn on support through the API in the event the touchpanel ever failed for support purposes,
They should have listened to you, that's a no-brainer.
avdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #7
rob1971
VTC Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdesign View Post
They should have listened to you, that's a no-brainer.
I'll second that!
Old 04-13-2012   #8
rob1971
VTC Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamnz View Post
Sure - that's why we created the MX200 and MX300 - systems designed for larger rooms but at a closer price point to the EX90 for example. These have PTZ cameras, larger displays and come with the touch control with a 7.5 m cable. And yes, I probably should have been heading off to bed then ;-)
Unfortunately these weren't available to us for year-end spend time!

I'll try and get some prices for them from our supplier, but from looking at the specs I think they're actually a little too large for the rooms in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamnz View Post
What I have seen some people doing though with EX90s for example is using the web interface on a tablet (like an iPad) to control them from a distance. Perhaps that's worth looking into for your needs?
Interesting idea Pete - especially if Cisco or a third party actually release a proper app that replicates the touch-screen rather than the web interface.

Rob
Old 04-15-2012   #9
BasicITOne
VTC Professional

BasicITOne - Has only 10 Tech Points
Send a message via AIM to BasicITOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1971 View Post
Hi folks

We've recently received a Cisco EX60 for evaluation and it have noticed that when the touch-screen isn't connected the interface that pops up appears to be very similar to the C-series.

I was wondering, does anyone know if it's possible to use the C-series remote to fully control the EX-series?

Unfortunately we don't have a C-series system, otherwise I'd be trying for myself.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
The remote does work and the interface looks and acts just like a c series codec. There are two settings that must be changed. One is to turn the ir port on the other is to show full menu on screen. I believe the full menu setting is in the experimental area. This would make you believe it may or may not have continued support in futures software releases. I would suggest that if you want this functionality to call, write, open TAC cases, tell your rep and otherwise get the word out that you want it.

I turned it on on 5 ex60 and on 2 ex90 the end user loves it now and if Cisco turns this support off I'm sure they will most likely pull the t1700's back out. In this case user interface trumps everything else although they do love the larger screen and higher resolution.
BasicITOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #10
streamnz
VTC Professional

It's funny. I so rarely touch an IR remote control these days that I find it frustrating when I need to use one. The first couple of releases of software for the touch panels left a lot to be desired in terms of usability and features IMHO - however since TC5 came along I haven't looked back. If I want to do some advanced config on a codec, I simply use the web interface (or CLI - I'm still an old-time geek).

Pete
Cisco Systems