PDA

View Full Version : Polycom VSX7000 DHCP issue

Oliver Black
08-12-2004, 03:03 PM
We are a 99% iPower shop, but recently acquired four VSX7000 settop units. I hear everyone ragging on the iPowers, but I have a few issues with the 7000...
1. The unit does not pick up an IP from our DHCP server. All the PC's, Mac's, etc pick it up fine, just these VSX's refuse to pick up their own IP.
2. We have the PC content box, and it seems to take a delay from slide to slide for the image to 'focus'. Is this normal for settop boxes with these dongle boxes hanging off of it?
3. The video appears washed out. The only control appears to be backlight, which makes it worse. This may be a quality issue with the Sony EVI-D100 camera that is integrated into the system.

If anyone has seen the issues and has some valuable input, please let me know. I think however we may stick with the iPowers for the time-being.

trapehzoid
08-12-2004, 08:30 PM
We are a 99% iPower shop, but recently acquired four VSX7000 settop units. I hear everyone ragging on the iPowers, but I have a few issues with the 7000...
1. The unit does not pick up an IP from our DHCP server. All the PC's, Mac's, etc pick it up fine, just these VSX's refuse to pick up their own IP.
2. We have the PC content box, and it seems to take a delay from slide to slide for the image to 'focus'. Is this normal for settop boxes with these dongle boxes hanging off of it?
3. The video appears washed out. The only control appears to be backlight, which makes it worse. This may be a quality issue with the Sony EVI-D100 camera that is integrated into the system.

If anyone has seen the issues and has some valuable input, please let me know. I think however we may stick with the iPowers for the time-being.

Sorry to hear about your iPowers... j/k :)

On the DHCP issue.. just run a packet sniffer and check out whats going on. DHCP is a very easy protocal to follow in a packet sniffer. If you aren't familar, if your IT guys are worth the chair the sit in they should be able to pinpoint at least if valid requests are going out and being attempted. It would also help to know what kind of DHCP server you are using. Could be all kinds of things if people are mucking with settings. Generically the DHCP works in the VSX to my knowledge. Make sure they are on the same lan segment as other devices that are working. Make sure the DHCP server isn't limiting registrations in some way. Best way to troubleshoot this is simply look at the DHCP server's logs first, then look at a packet sniff if its not clear from the logs.

On the 'focus' thing.. its a way the systems cheat to get the image to you quicker. When sending XGA, its simply so much data that when you first switch to it.. it normally would take too much time waiting to get a full clear picture. So what many systems do is cheat by sending a lower effective resolution image to start with, then clear it up. This way you don't get a very long pause waiting for the first image. This is simply an encoding technique. If you aren't used to this on your iPower, make sure you are doing a fair comparison (using the same resolution in your testing and same bandwidth). Your iPower may not be segmenting the bandwidth the same as the VSX is, so in effect, the VSX may be using less bandwidth for the PC image.

Camera issue.. can't really comment.