PDA

View Full Version : Cause code 41

MACC the AVCOtek
06-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know what specifically can cause Temporary Network Failure as indicated by this Cause Code?

Does this error usually mean the ISDN network is somehow offline? Are there other things it could mean?

Morgan81
06-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Thats one of the main reasons I get that error for. For example we had an outage stemming from a problem with our local CO today, and that the error we got. Generally speaking, I never even look at those codes, they're so ambiguous all they usually do is make your head hurt.

dfreeman
06-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Even though they may make your headache, Morgan they do help a bit. Unfortunately CC41 is one of the more irritating ones. Generally I find that to be indicative of a failure at the local switch- usually before the routing can take place.

mikeg
06-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Cause Code 41 -This means that there is a temporary failure at the physical layer on the ISDN network

MACC the AVCOtek
06-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Cause Code 41 -This means that there is a temporary failure at the physical layer on the ISDN network

Pardon my ignorance, but what does 'the physical layer' describe when talking about the ISDN network?

mikeg
06-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) model for communication. ISDN is based on this model. In OSI, seven separate levels, or layers, of communication are defined.

Layer 7: The application layer...This is the layer at which communication partners are identified, quality of service is identified, user authentication and privacy are considered, and any constraints on data syntax are identified. (This layer is not the application itself, although some applications may perform application layer functions.)

Layer 6: The presentation layer...This is a layer, usually part of an operating system, that converts incoming and outgoing data from one presentation format to another (for example, from a text stream into a popup window with the newly arrived text). Sometimes called the syntax layer.

Layer 5: The session layer...This layer sets up, coordinates, and terminates conversations, exchanges, and dialogs between the applications at each end. It deals with session and connection coordination.

Layer 4: The transport layer...This layer manages the end-to-end control (for example, determining whether all packets have arrived) and error-checking. It ensures complete data transfer.

Layer 3: The network layer...This layer handles the routing of the data (sending it in the right direction to the right destination on outgoing transmissions and receiving incoming transmissions at the packet level). The network layer does routing and forwarding.

Layer 2: The data-link layer...This layer provides synchronization for the physical level and does bit-stuffing for strings of 1's in excess of 5. It furnishes transmission protocol knowledge and management.

Layer 1: The physical layer...This layer conveys the bit stream through the network at the electrical and mechanical level. It provides the hardware means of sending and receiving data on a carrier.

MACC the AVCOtek
06-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for that info!

So, basically Cause Code 41 means some hardware somewhere on the network has failed. The call was trying to route and hit a hardware-related barrier somewhere.

Could the 'physical layer' problem be the originating codec or is it usually 'behind-the-wall'?

dfreeman
06-30-2004, 08:00 PM
As in any Isdn trouble, I would hesitate to say "always", but I would definitely be pushing hard on the local.

MACC the AVCOtek
07-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, I found out my was causing my error...this time.

The end-user was trying to make a multipoint call with a TANDBERG 6000 connected to three BRI lines. He'd make the first call at 384, then try to dial the second and, for reasons unknown, the 6000 would not downspeed and thus thought there was no more bandwidth for the second call and returned the Error 41.

So, apparently, an Error 41 can relate to lack of bandwidth as well.

I am currently investigating why the 6000 did not downspeed.

robertk
07-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Have you disabled the BRI interfaces on the 6000 that isn't in use?

If you have more then 3 BRI lines enabled then the 6000 belives it has more bandwith, thus doesn't downspeed, instead you get Cause code 41 since the lines are disconnected.

//Robert

dfreeman
07-01-2004, 05:05 PM
#$%^@*& users

tom9933
07-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I think we all feel your pain! Though on a positive side they tend to keep us employed

:)

MACC the AVCOtek
07-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Have you disabled the BRI interfaces on the 6000 that isn't in use?

If you have more then 3 BRI lines enabled then the 6000 belives it has more bandwith, thus doesn't downspeed, instead you get Cause code 41 since the lines are disconnected.

//Robert

Hadn't considered that. I'll have to experiment.

MACC the AVCOtek
07-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Hadn't considered that. I'll have to experiment.

Is quoting myself legal?

I experimented and this is definitely the problem. Thanks, robertk! This forum has proven itself invaluable yet again! Thanks, VTCtalk!